We are still discussing the sequence for the part with job employment statistics, so that is not final and subject to change, nevertheless here is the progress so far for posterity. We now just have a few seconds at the very beginning and just a little more than a smidgen at the end, to use technical terms.
At this point animating the final sequences won’t take too long, and I anticipate most of the work to be in re-syncing it up with the finished audio once we have all that sorted out, and then making minor changes. A lot of it is just subtle movement and little details to keep the eye engaged, so I plan to work on those over the weekend, I’d like the piece to feel a little more alive. But first, finishing the bare minimum, most important above all else.
During Class I was continuing to work on assets and making sure that they are consistent with a style that we were going for. Here is what I have changed so far.
The Lottery Ticket:
First render: absolutely horrible, and that’s putting it nicely. Here’s what it looked like.
Second render: much better, matches the style better, subtle gradients give off that illusion of a 3D scratch off effect.
There were some variations that I tried:
I was messing with the color of the text and the strength of the gradients. I chose these colors because we have used them before in the color of the money bags, and green typically symbolizes money.
Here is what the lottery ticket will look like after it gets scratched off:
Another one of the assets that I revisited was the diploma.
1st render: not horrible, could have been better, doesn’t match the style.
2nd time: more of a solid flat color style
I wasn’t sure what color to use, we decided that whatever color we make the grad cap at the end of the video, we will make the diploma that color too.
Another one of the assets that I made was the globe. Here is what it looks like.
We then decided to apply the same color concept to the asset that would appear right beside it on the screen, the Thumbs Up
1st render: not horrible, just doesn’t fit with the color scheme.
2nd render: much better in terms of flat graphic and solid color.
I liked these a lot better, but the problem was, I didn’t think we could represent something positively with the color red, so we won’t be using red for any of these graphics.
I repeated the blue and green colors used earlier to continue the consistency.
With this scene, I wanted to see what the assets would look like together before we jumped right into AfterEffects. Here is what they look like together.
For the color of the graduation caps in this scene, I wanted to pick a color that was complimentary and wouldn’t blend into the globe. I started with red, but I wanted to see what the other colors in our color scheme looked like.
I also worked on creating an order and figuring out what all of our assets would look like next to each other, in more or less a storyboard.
Here is what that looks like.